Tonight is the last of the series of opioid town halls held by The Community Collaborative for Youth and Families. These events focus on the opioid epidemic and feature a screening of "Chasing the Dragon," followed by a panel discussion by experts.
The collaborative has held a town hall in each of the localities in Planning District 16--Fredericksburg and the counties of Caroline, King George,Stafford, before tonight's event in Spotsylvania.
This evening's event will be held at Salem Fields Community Church on Gordon Road. If you can't make it to the town hall, it will be streamed live.
These events have been well-attended, testament to the fact that our community is concerned about the opioid crisis. That crisis is overwhelming. In the first three months of this year, 377 Virginians lost their lives to drug overdoses--this is a dramatic increase from 10 years ago, when 176 people in Virginia died from drug overdoses. It is also a slight increase from last year, when 362 died in the first three months. Overall, 1,428 individuals in Virginia died from drug overdoses.
Faced with those statistics, the epidemic can seem daunting. You might want to help but aren't sure where to begin.
The Community Collaborative created a list of ways you could help. This helpful sheet also provides you with community resources.
You could also get involved by receiving our life-saving training on recognizing and responding to opioid overdoses. We have REVIVE! trainings scheduled throughout the remainder of this year. We also offer substance abuse services, including Medication-Assisted Treatment for people struggling with opioid dependency.
Operation Medicine Cabinet
Safely disposing of medication helps combat the opioid epidemic. Partners in Aging, Mary Washington Healthcare, and local law enforcement agencies will team up to host Operation Medicine Cabinet on Oct. 28. You could dispose of your medication at nine locations throughout the Fredericksburg area to collect medications:
1. Stafford Hospital 101 Hospital Center Blvd. Stafford, VA 22554
2. Mary Washington Hospital Tompkins Martin Medical Plaza 1101 Sam Perry Blvd. Fredericksburg, VA 22401
3. University of Mary Washington Bell Tower 1301 College Avenue Fredericksburg VA 22401 NO SHARPS ACCEPTED
4. Chancellor Volunteer Fire & Rescue, Old Engine Company 5, 5992 Plank Rd., Fredericksburg, VA 22407
5. Mary Washington Healthcare Emergency and Outpatient Center – Lees Hill 10401 Spotsylvania Avenue Fredericksburg, VA 22408
6. Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center 4600 Spotsylvania Parkway Fredericksburg, VA 22408
7. CVS – Courtland Commons, 9767 Courthouse Rd., Spotsylvania, VA 22553
8. CVS – Ladysmith, 18048 Jefferson Davis Highway, Ruther Glen, VA 22546
9.Rite Aid, 104 W. Broaddus Ave., Bowling Green, VA. 22427