Poinsettias pack a powerful punch when it comes to upping the festive factor. These popular flowers offer a colorful touch to any holiday decor. But they don’t have to be one-hit wonders, with these tips for reblooming.
- When the holidays die down and the blooms fade, limit watering to allow the plant to go dormant.
- Start watering around March or April and feed with a watered-down liquid fertilizer.
- Cut the stems to about 6 inches above the pot. And then plant in a new container.
- Place near a window and water when the soil is dry.
- The plants can be moved outside for the summer.
- In July, start “pinching” the plant. Pinch again in August.
- In September, bring plants indoors and place in a sunny location away from drafts.
- Throughout the fall, limit watering to just when the soil is dry.
- Also, make sure the plants get total darkness for about 12-14 hours each day from early October until Thanksgiving.
Getting a repeat performance can be tricky but with these handy reblooming tips, you just might have another showstopper next winter!
Whether you get one season, two, or many more to come, one thing is sure: When you buy poinsettias from Rappahannock Adult Activities, you’ll help adults with disability flourish in our community.
You can order them online or purchase at one of two locations:
- 601 Lafayatte Boulevard in Fredericksburg (the former Roxbury Mills Farm & Garden Center) from noon to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays
- 750 Kings Highway (3 miles east of the the Chatham Bridge) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays
Our Lafayette Boulevard location will also feature holiday trees, wreaths, and garland.